Friday, February 18, 2011

Sleep Training


Sitting up......done. (Within 5 days of the therapist coming over.)
Rolling over......done. Mostly.
Eating solids.....yep. Loving it.
Sleeping through the night.....nope.
Able to get herself to sleep without needing to be rocked, cuddled, bounced, paced, etc....big nope.
With that being said, we are sleep training as of today. And ya know what? It's awful! You know those fun size packages of Reese's Fastbreaks they sell for $1? Ate half a bag waiting for her to stop screaming. Awesome.
How do you all do it?!
We're doing the screaming interval method for now. Scream for 5, held for 2 - and repeat. It's taken three rounds of this with each nap today. She cried hard. Splotchy face and all. I cried too. Probably will again when we have to do this cycle again with the next nap.
Definitely not tackling sleeping through the night yet. I don't have nerves of steel. I can only handle so much this week. Maybe next week.
She's just too big to be bounced to sleep forever. And we can't leave her with anyone except my mom. Babysitters can't handle a tough sleeper, I won't do that to them. We can't have more babies if we're pacing the halls with a two year old. (No, we are not even thinking about thinking about thinking of having another one yet.)
Will someone come hold my hand while she screams please? I'm such a softy. I thought I'd be good at this! I can get the toughest of heart babies to sleep at work. Why can't I get my own child to sleep normally?!
What we don't do out of desperation for some sleep and time to get things done around the house...........

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

I'm sorry. Sleep training is so hard! Just remember it is a life skill she needs to master. She's adorable, and you'll enjoy her even more when you aren't so sleep deprived. By the way, I love your blog I don't comment ever, but you seem to always voice the way I'm feeling! And I'm so glad that Brooklyn is doing so well especially after all of the things your family has been through since she got here. You're amazing.

Ellingson's said...

I SERIOUSLY will come hold your hand! Please text or call & I'll be over in a heart beat. I've done it many times over & cried just as hard as the baby! But it's so worth it when they fall asleep on their own & sleep through the night! Baby #3 I learned my lesson, we started off never rocking, or holding her to sleep, sweet bliss!

The Hall Family said...

I found a book online and it gave several different options on how to do it that will work best for your child. My first bit of advice is that you shouldn't keep picking her up. I think it is only confusing her. I am gonna email you what we did because it literally worked in one night. And it allowed me to stay with her so that I didn't freak out too.

Greg and Sarah said...

ash, we did sleep training this last week! on the third night she slept through the night and last night was her fifth straight night sleeping all the way through. it's hard, but stick with it! i forgot how wonderful a full nights rest is!

Carrie said...

I can totally come help you. It is hard and you feel like the worst mommy in the whole world. She will get it and you will all be happier in the long run. I would be willing to come and you could go drive around for a bit. Just text me if you need anything. Even if you just need someone to go get you more reeses or diet pepsi ;). Hang in there.

Andrea Harper said...

I never comment either, and I don't even know why. I hate non-commenters. Plus, I think you're a rockstar mommy so from now on, totally commenting :) Love you and love your blog. Unfortunately I have zero advise for you. I'm kinda new at this :) Hang in there and be strong! Everyone says its SO worth it in the end.

Unknown said...

I wish I knew what to tell you... I have 3 kids none of whom sleep well. Sleep training is hard... it's just not a normal thing for a mom to be ok with hearing her baby cry. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh SHE IS SO CUTE!!! it seems like yesterday when she was in the nicu. i'm so happy for you! and am so glad we are now blog friends :)

Rob & Tiffanie said...

My 1st, 2nd and 4th slept through the night with minimal training by 4 mths but hta 3rd one..... I tried all of the crying methods and just waited wide awake for them to stop. It is hard to listen too. I recenlty read from "teh baby whisperer" and she has a different approach to sleep training that may work better for you guys:)