Monday, August 2, 2010

Home Again

We are home from the hospital. Can't believe we were there again. We laughed as we made the all too familiar drive back up to Primary's. You either laugh or cry. And I was fairly certain I'd be crying by the end of the night.

The ordeal started Saturday. She had been super fussy and whimpered all day. We thought she was constipated - gave her a suppository and it worked. She took a full bottle and took a nap. But her heart monitor was beeping high heartrate. ??? Normally she beeps low heartrate. A quick check and we realized she was on fire ... her temp was 39.2! Tylenol helped, but then she started vomiting everything she ate. A phone call to her pediatrician put us on the road to Primary's.

She looks glossy-eyed and fevered on the way. She was lethargic at this point.

The ER brought another sepsis work-up...blood and urine cultures, and another spinal tap. Yep, she bawled. So did I. I might have had some very angry prayers in those hours. Ya, not my best moments, but they tortured her that night. I have never felt so helpless, we couldn't do a single thing to make it easier for her.
"You have to do what to me?!" Doesn't this face say it all...

We were admitted to a room by 1:00am. IV antiobiotics were started to treat a presumed kidney infection. Today her urine cultures confirmed that diagnosis. The kidney reflux became a problem sooner than we anticipated!




Am I better yet mom and dad? Being in the hopsital is no fun!

I could have kissed her doctor this morning when they told us we could go home. The infant unit was great, but you get absolutely no sleep with a newborn between her feeding schedule and the hospital staff's routine. I have so much more empathy for my patients and their families!!

Really?! We get to go home? Yay!!

Now we're home and so grateful to be there. I'm covered in throw-up, poop (lovely diarrhea from the antibiotics she's on) and desperately need both a nap and a shower. So does she. She's super cuddly, won't let us put her down for more than thirty minutes. Oh the joys of a baby that doesn't feel well.

Anyone else tired from reading all of that?

4 comments:

cwilson said...

Poor little baby! She has had a rough go! Hope you guys can get some rest!

Nan said...

I am so sorry to hear this but glad you are all home now. Can I help you in anyway?

Nanette Christensen

BrainandHeather said...

Oh Poor thing! You can totally tell in her face she did not feel well! Glad she is OK though! Enough scares right? Anyways Love you guys hang in there!

Jane and Stuart said...

I am sorry! That is no fun. Glad all is well now. She is sure a cutie! Sorry she is not the best sleeper.