Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gratitude

I feel so much Gratitude...

For this princess.



Today we went to her pediatrician again - time for shots. Hate those. Hate to see her cry. But she recovered quickly thank goodness. I've seen enough pokes and needles in her to last a lifetime.

She is 13lbs. 3 oz - yay for a chubby girl. Of course, we're not on the growth charts yet, but her chin is a good indicator of how well she's growing.



Before going home we made a stop to visit my OB...his office is one floor below Brooklyn's doctor. He hasn't had a chance to see the product of his hard work all those months ago. I could have hugged the man. He saved her life; therefore saving ours in the process. I walked out of the Riverton hospital this morning feeling so much gratitude. For the miracle that took place in that exact hospital six months ago.



The delivery experience, the NICU experience, the stress, the grief, the fears, the absolute heartbreak we felt back then feels like a bad dream. Yet I look at the tiny scar on my stomach and am reminded of the journey we went through. And that little scar is my daily reminder to acknowledge the people that got us to this point.

--My OB - who came in on his night off at 2:00am - to deliver a tiny baby girl...and calm two totally stressed out parents.

--Dr. Duffy, Brooklyn's pediatrician, who accepted her as a new patient, though he wasn't taking new patients at the time.

--The kind nurses and medical staff that treated us like family.

--The family, friends, coworkers, neighbors and strangers that loved our baby the instant they saw her.

--My religion. The one thing that allowed me to admit that life sometimes doesn't go as planned. That sometimes life isn't fair. That things aren't always in your control. That allowed me to believe things would work out, no matter the outcome. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints...we believe that families can and will see each other again. This belief allowed me to accept whatever Brooklyn's fate would be, no matter what her ending may be.



So today I'm grateful. Brooklyn is a perfect, healthy little girl. Her personality is emerging, she's gonna be a spitfire! The grief I felt on this day was as strong as the gratitude I feel today.



All worn out after 4 shots...


And just because she's so funny, some great tub pictures...notice we have to lift her chin out of the way to clean her rolls! Haha.

3 comments:

Jane and Stuart said...

She is darling! I still want to come see you sometime!

Aaron, Debbie & Alida said...

She is beautiful!!!! Wish I could be there to see her cute personality! Enjoy these days they go by way too quickly before you know it she will be running circles around you!
~Debbie Knobloch

Kati said...

She is so cute! I love your posts! Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and feelings. You are amazing!