Saturday, April 17, 2010

Grief

They say grief comes in stages. It involves many emotions that you may cycle through more than once. Since that horrible night I think I've been numb, in shock, in denial, whatever you want to call it. I couldn't cry after they flew her to Primary's. I put a smile on my face and went through each day in my own hospital room in a haze. I ached to see her, to see with my own eyes she was alive.



Roger. My sweet husband. My constant in this trial. He cried for me, kept me updated when he went to see her six hours after birth. He held me and hugged me, knowing eventually I'd break. The below picture is about 12 hours after delivery. My smile is pasted on, and we're both exhausted.




They let me go home yesterday. Finally. I brought home my flowers and took a picture of my own little floral shop. (Many thanks again for those, they brought a ray of sunshine into our dark days.)



So back to the subject of grief. The part where I knew I'd break came last night. Roger gave our daughter a blessing with the help of his dad last night. And I all out lost it. Couldn't stop crying. My shattered heart was all over the floor. The blessing was beautiful and promised good things. Now its up to us to have faith in those promises. But I sobbed and sobbed anyway. I cried the entire ride home. I cried when we finally climbed into bed and Roger held me close. I cried for my baby who was suffering as they put the ventilator back down her throat. I cried this morning at 5:00am as I got up to pump. I sat on the floor of our living room with swollen eyes and wondered how I even had that many tears in me. I cried again when I climbed back into bed and Roger held my hand in the dark.


Grief...how do you prepare for such a thing?


I also realized I am so very angry. Bitter, upset and angry. I feel so cheated. We don't get to enjoy the "firsts". Roger has never been exposed to a preemie, and he's missing out on precious moments because she'll be in a hospital for months. I feel this little girls grandparents are cheated. My parents have done this three times before (Meg and I were 30 weekers, Callie was a 27 weeker). Haven't we had our share? Sweet Susan and Gary, my cute in laws...they took it all in stride seeing her for the first time in her little incubator last night. Thank you Gary for assisting Roger with the blessing.


I feel this precious little soul is being cheated. Is she suffering? Is she in pain? I know without a doubt Heavenly Father is comforting her and sending guardian angels to watch over her. But my heart aches like it never has before to see her being poked and prodded.

I feel guilty. What did I do that caused her to come early? Will we ever know? Is it my fault? Should I have done something different? Is my pain tolerance high enough that it took dilating to an 8 to get me to the hopsital? Could they have stopped my labor if I had gone in sooner? These thoughts eat away at me. But I know what's done is done and I have to move on with hope and faith that she will pull through despite my faults.


But - I also can see some humor in this whole thing. I giggled as we walked into her room last night and saw her looking like this:



She looks like an elf with some serious stylish glasses. Notice the chin strap? Yah, that lovely thing is holding up her double chin so the Cpap won't come right back out her mouth. So funny. She looks so comfy here, all nestled in her bed and chillin under the bili lights. Such a cute little squirt huh? Oh how we love her!



Again, thank you to everyone who has supported us in every possible way. It's humbling to be on the receiving end of a situation like this. We are overwhelmed and so deeply grateful for your love and prayers.

P.S... We named her Brooklyn. :)

18 comments:

Karen said...

Brooklyn...love it! I thought about adding the lyn, but Bryce didn't want to. I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this. It is sad that you will miss so much since she is in the hospital, but because she is in the hospital you will have a lifetime to watch her grow. Situations like these make me so greatful for modern day technology.

Tricia and Jon said...

Ashlee, you are so strong. I cried all the way through your post. I have not idea what you must be going through. I am so sorry you are going through this. Love you!

And I LOVE the name Brooklyn :)

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness! I am crying as I read all of these! I know at least slightly what this is like and it is NOT FUN!! You are doing so great. I see these cute pics of you and you look good, really. It is soooo hard. And she is sooo darling! I don't think she looks at all alien!I really do want to come and visit. Hang in there and sleep!!

Allison said...

Oh wow Ashlee!! Congratulations on a precious little girl!! I had not checked in for a while and decided to visit today. YIKES!! Sounds like such a scary week...one we know parts of all too well. I know the absolute roller coaster of emotions and the months in the hospital. How ironic that your little angel is now being cared for by people and in a place that you know so well! You will have a very interesting perspective being on the parent side instead of the the nurses side, but it will give you such an edge in helping Brooklyn to succeed! Thanks for all of the updates and pictures. We will be sure to check back often and add your family to our prayers!

Jane and Stuart said...

Brooklyn is a beautiful name! She is a cute little squirt! Don't worry you will have all the "firsts" they will just come with time. Can I go see her at Primary sometime when you are there? You are in our prayers. Love you!

sherryandtres said...

Dear Ashlee, we are so sorry for all this. You and Megan have always been little miracles to me and now you are having one of your own. Babies change our life forever. We wonder what we ever did without them. But the trials are never ending but very rewarding too. I want you to know that you and baby Brooklyn are in our prayers. Please know we have angels in heaven helping us aways. Love to you and Roger.

jas and aubs said...

Brooklyn is so lucky to have you guys as her family... take it as you guys have.. preemie experts. Not a lot of families can pull through this or know what to do, yours has had 3 times at this and look how amazing and healthy you all turned out. I have been thinking of you daily since Whit told me the story. You guys are in our prayers nightly. Congrats on the new addition. Hopefully the two months will fly and before you know it she will be in your arms forever. She's one lucky girl Ash, you're going to be a great mother!! We love you!
xoxo

Nan said...

Ashlee thank you so much for being so honest and keeping us up to date on everything. I hope you know my prayers are with you and your sweet family at this time. You are an amazing woman!

Nanette

Christine said...

Love the name. You are all in our prayers.

Carrie said...

Ashlee,
She is beautiful. I love her name. My heart aches for you everytime I drive or walk past your house. If there is anything, and I really do mean ANYTHING that Mary or I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. Even if it is just some company, just to talk or one of us to empty out our cupboards of all the chocolate we can find...we are here for you (just a call or a text away). You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love to all three of you!!!
Carrie

Jess said...

Ashlee...I read and cried...and read again and cried. You are so honest and real. I love that about you. Please let us know if you guys need anything. A cry...chocolate...Diet Pepsi...just a talk. She is absolutely beautiful and is one lucky little girl to have you two as parents. I love her name and we love you guys. We think about your little family all the time and you are always in our prayers.

NatBug said...

Oh Ashlee, that was beautiful, your words are perfect, the feelings that you are going through are normal. But don't worry you did nothing wrong, some little miracles are just meant to come early to teach us certain lessons and bring us certain blessings. She is perfect and she is beautiful!!!

Katrina said...

Ash- She is beautiful! What an amazing mom you are. She is such a miracle. I love the name Brooklyn. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I live close to the hospital, so please just call me if you need me to bring anything up to you, or if you need a place to take a nap or shower. Love to all of you!

Greg and Karianne said...

You are amazing Ashlee and congratulations! I'll be thinking of you!

Meg said...

Ashlee,
My heart is breaking for you. I just returned to work and got your email. I haven't stopped thinking about you and your little girl since yesterday when I read your email. Every situation is different, but the memories of my sweet Hughie in the PCMC NICU are still very fresh. They will take such great care of your little Brooklyn and you and Roger. The NICU will always have a special place in my heart. Brooklyn and your family will be in my every prayer. Hang in there. You can do this! Keep fighting sweet Brooklyn!
Much Love,
Meg Van Wagenen

Gina said...

You and Roger are so strong. Brooklyn (darling name, by the way) is adorable and one lucky duck to be sent to your family. We continue to pray for you. Love you Ash.

The Holts said...

Ashlee & Roger,

Congrats on your sweet baby girl! She is adorable and I would say a good size for 28 weeks! This time is full of bittersweet moments. Kimball and I will be praying for you three...praying that the bitter moments will subside and the sweet moments will linger. Love,
Shelley Holt

Tracy Smythe said...

She is adorable. I love that story about looking right at you when she got mad. They have such fun personalities from the start! You and Roger are such great parents...isn't it amazing to see your husband transform into this protective and tender dad? You are all in my prayers. Hang in there Ash!