Friday, April 30, 2010

Patience

Patience is a virtue...

Just not one of mine.

I went to lunch with Whitney today and we discussed the "why's" of life. Roger and I seem to ask these kind of questions these days. Why us? Why her? Why do innocent children have to deal with this kind of stuff? One constant "why".

Whit pointed out that all trials are for our benefit. We are supposed to learn something from it. I'm pretty sure this is teaching me patience. Whit gave me a quote that hit home.

"Patience is a godly attribute that can heal souls, unlock treasures of knowledge and understanding, and transform ordinary men and women into saints and angels. Patience is truly a fruit of the Spirit.
Patience means staying with something until the end. It means delaying immediate gratification for future blessings. It means reining in anger and holding back the unkind word. It means resisting evil, even when it appears to be making others rich.
Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace and faith. It means being "willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon us, even as a child doth submit to his father."
Ultimately, patience means being "firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord" every hour of every day, even when it is hard to do so. In the words of John the Revelator, 'Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and...faith in Jesus.'
Patience is a process of perfection. Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most."
---President Uchtdorf

In rereading my latest posts, I'm realizing they each hold an undertone of sadness and frustration. So I'm doing an attitude adjustment starting today. I am grateful, so very very very grateful I get to "learn patience" through this baby of ours. I wouldn't have it any other way. I still get to cry as much as I want (yes my hormones are helping that along), but they are tears of gratitude as well.

Starting today I am moving forward and accepting this situation with as much "courage, grace and faith" as I can. We have been so blessed. Our hands are tied - there is absolutely nothing we can do to change where life has taken us. So we are counting our lucky stars we have someone to cry over and stress about everyday. We'll face our 'potholes' with some tears, yes - but with hearts full of hope and gratitude!

Pictures to come tonight...

7 comments:

Meg said...

Hang in there, Ashlee! I think about you a lot and we pray for you guys and your sweet Brooklyn everyday. You have more patience than you think. Thanks for keeping your blog up...I look forward to your updates. Much Love...

Kati said...

Patience isn't always the easiest thing to have but I think that you guys are doing great!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and allowing us to read your blog. I've learned a lot reading your posts. I loved what you wrote today, you don't have control over what is happening after her birth, and you didn't have control over her being born early, the only thing you have control over right now is your faith and your attitude. It's okay to cry and have frustration and sadness- it's human. It's also okay to be strong and to look at the positives and see her progress as a miracle and a blessing. I think about you all the time, and little Brooklyn. She's beautiful, and strong, and doing well, and so are you.

Carrie said...

You have been given some wonderful advice. You are amazing. Thanks for posting that quote. I need to work on my patience as well, but for other reasons. I know I would not handle everything nearly as well as you are. Mary and I would like to maybe drop something off in the next week or so. Text me when a good time would be and we will try to swing by. Just remember how much you, Roger and your sweet little girl are loved!!!

Brandi said...

I love that quote, thank you! You are such a good Mommy! Stay strong!

Nicole said...

You are doing so awesome! And so is Brooklyn. Do you ever get to hold her? I know she has all of the monitors on, but can you hold her while she's still connected? That is so hard. Keep hanging in there! She loves you so much!

Nan said...

I think you have always showed courage, grace and faith!

Nanette