Sunday, April 14, 2013

Happy Birthday.... You're 3!


My Sweet Brooklyn.

Where do I even begin?  My heart hurts a little bit as I write this.  'Sting nose' is making it's appearance as I try not to cry thinking about you.  Are you really a 3 year old?  Really, for real, 3?  I blinked, and you grew up.  Way faster than you should be.  You're tall, petite and a spitfire.  You have beautiful auburn hair, blue-green eyes, porcelain skin and a killer smile. 

In some ways you are 3 going on 15.  Other days you are still my baby...you even let me snuggle with you occassionally.  You have been super sick this week, so snuggles have been happening a lot lately!  You're potty training, starting preschool in the Fall and dressing yourself (multiple outfit changes a day people.  Jammies are a favorite.)  You have your mom's sweet tooth and your dad's energy for life.  You love Brynlee to a point of some serious protective instincts showing up in you if anyone gets near her.  You love Beau like he was your own brother (little do you know how much you'll miss him when he moves in two months!), and you wear your heart on your sleeve.  You are a typical toddler - so active and full of energy.  You wear me out.  But you are a well behaved toddler, especially if you don't feel threatened by other kids being in your territory.  You love any and all attention from whoever will give it to you.

It was three years ago tonight that I sat on an operating table waiting for you to join our family.  It's almost 2:00am as I write this, remembering how I felt three years ago at this exact time, and my heart is full.  Full of memories of lots of 2:00am nights with you as you've grown.  Full of incredible fun, learning, and love for you.  Full of hope for your future and what you will do with your life.  Full of dreams for you, plans for you and the pride I feel in claiming you as a daughter.  YOU made me a mom.  You flipped the switch inside me that defines a parent.  I would hand you life on a silver platter if I could, take away any and all hurts you have faced/will face, and keep you wrapped inside a bubble if I were able.  YOU have brought out my protective instinct, my desire to help you succeed in life, my wish to see you happy.  In the middle of the night, 3 years ago, you claimed April 14th as your special day.  How I love that we get to celebrate your special day!

Today we will celebrate you....your sweet spirit, your happy personality, your energy, your '3 year old - ness'.  We'll eat ice cream (because it's one of your favorite sweets) and open gifts and make today all about you.

Happy Birthday sweet girl.  Your dad and I love you more than words can express.  Here's to 3 wonderful years, and looking forward to celebrating many more birthdays in the years to come!

Love Mom

1 comment:

Unknown said...

happy birthday to your sweet girl ashlee! your girls are so lucky to have you as their mama.