Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Better Me

I'm a part-time employee as of this week - total bliss. I love my job, don't get me wrong. But the sacrifices we were making to keep full time benefits (more PTO accrual, cheaper insurance premiums) were too much. I have been a crappy mom and an even crappier wife. Seriously. Pathetic even.

The dream to be a mom and a wife are literally in my hands, and I was doing a poor job of both titles from lack of sleep. So my first week of working two shifts dealt me a. being put on call for my first shift of the week, b. snow. Awesome.

It has been heavenly staying home. I'll get stir crazy if we don't get a break from the snow so we can go outside, but I already feel better about myself.

There is something to be said for your self worth and how you view yourself. I'm a 'list maker' and my biggest critic, probably a bit of a perfectionist even. I was falling short in every area I could think of -- with my improved schedule life can only get better from my perspective. More expensive yes (wish the world wasn't controlled by money), but hopefully Roger and Brooklyn will actually start to like me again. Right Rog? :)
Brooklyn likes having me 'awake' during the day too. Chewing and throwing toys has become a new favorite. I'm totally entertained. Who wants to come visit?!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I am so excited for you!!!!! It will be worth it. :) You need to mark down that we go out to dinner before the RS activity every month. I will text you to remind you. That way you get some grown up interaction too!!!

Jeff and Kathryn said...

Working is overrated! Brooklyn is the most darling little girl.

Laura said...

This makes me happy for you! Being a working full-time mommy is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

The Lichtie Family said...

Stop. She's too cute.

You'll love being home more! Sometimes I wish I could go to work, but generally, it's great.

Ellingson's said...

Hello! I'm right down the street! Come visit me! Next week I don't have carpool, so I'm good any day but Tuesday

Tricia and Jon said...

Isn't it amazing how babies are totally entertaining? I'm with you, I can stay entertained with chewing and throwing toys all day. I'm so excited that you are able to be home more! Brooklyn is such a doll. I'm hoping to come out this summer to Utah and visit. I'll let you know if I do and hopefully we can have dinner group!!