Saturday, May 22, 2010

GIFTS

I am so grateful for the gifts in my life.

Gift: Showing up the day after that last breakdown and seeing this sweet sleeping face. So peaceful. How I needed to see her.



Gift: The infamous foot. This will always bring a smile to our faces, no matter how rough the day. She always, always, always has one foot stretched out.



Gift: Again, the very day after my meltdown, being told she is coming off the vent. Right now. I was stunned. Roger wasn't surprised. How Brooklyn hates Cpap, but I'll consider it one of our gifts for now.




(Giving her little nose a rest from the Cpap. Her poor face is hammered from the ventilator tape. She kinda looks like and old woman here. She's going to kill me someday for posting this pic. Love how she's workin' the elf look again!)




Notice the binki? Still loving it. Classic Brooklyn pose for ya.




Gift: Roger. What more can I say? Where would I be without him? He loves his girls.





Gift: Sister visits. This is Meg's hand - holding Brooklyn's tiny one. Pictures don't do this tiny body justice. Thanks Meg for fitting in a run up to hospital to see the baby before you party with the Blands this week!


Gift: Nail clippers. So lame I know. But Brooklyn always makes herself cry when she scratches her face. So today I brought up nail clippers with a magnifying glass and fixed the problem. I might have been sweating by the time I was done I was so nervous. Has anyone else clipped a three pound baby's nails?!



Gift: Binkis. Someday I won't say that. But these tiny things are miracles for us right now. Look at the size of these! The purple one is a "preemie" binki. The pink one is a "mini-preemie" binki.



Gift: That we have a baby to love that is still with us. Some friends of ours lost their precious baby boy this last week after living only 30 hours. The funeral was yesterday. How do you ease that type of sorrow? I felt grateful for our trial....I know they would have traded us places in a second.

Brad and Megan, words don't say enough. You two are incredible people. The Lord sent you a choice spirit, a son that had proven himself worthy to live with his Savior again after such a short time here....and a son that will be yours again someday to hold and hug. We are so very very sorry he earned his angel wings so quickly. Our hearts go out to you and your family.

Gift: Friends. Family. Our support troops. Those that blogstalk us and won't admit it. To each and every single one of you - thank you for being one of the many gifts in our lives. We appreciate all that you do.

10 comments:

Jillian said...

Don't forget... you are a huge gift for lots of people around you as well. Love you lots Ashlee...

Karen said...

I haven't clipped a 3 pounder, but I did clip a 5 pounder. My second time clipping finger nails I got her skin and it felt like it bled forever. It finally stopped, but I sure felt bad!

Megs, Brad, and Abbie said...

I guess after that post I can't be a blog stalker any more without saying anything. Thank you so much for coming to support us on a very hard day. You have so much going on in your life, yet you took the time to support and show love to friends who needed it. That shows amazing character. I wish we would have spent more time getting to know you and your husband when we were in the branch, but there is still time to strengthen friendships!

We will continue to pray for your sweet baby girl (she is absolutely gorgeous by the way) and pray for her sweet parents to have the strength, comfort, and spirit that we have had in our home lately.

You both really are amazing and again thank you so much for showing your love and support to us!

Megan, Brad, and Abbie Bonham

P.S. We have a blog too (though we RARELY post on it).. it is private right now so if you want to be added to it, email me at liquidhotmegma@gmail.com

Nan said...

I am not afraid to admit I blogstalk you! I think you are just wonderful! Love the picture of her foot stretched out, so cute. She truly is a miracle and has great parents to help her on her journey.

Nanette Christensen

mCat said...

Totally admitting the blogstalking.

I am in awe of you and Roger, and mostly Brooklyn. I love reading about her progress, and know that my love and prayers are with you!

Gina said...

Agreed. You are a gift to more people around you than you realize. Your strength inspires. You have such a natural gift to love and nuture. Lucky Brooklyn to have a mother like you!

Kati said...

I love her little foot, it actually looks really kinda big. So cute!

Nicole said...

Cute post. She is doing so well! Yay! I love the binkies!! So cute and little! I would have been nervous about clipping the nails too.

So glad Roger got to hold her for round 2. I got to hold Alison often, I didn't think about that being something special...now I realize it was!

Yay for the vent out!!

Lauren said...

I was going to admit my blog stalking as well, and thought I'd be the only one out there that did it. Luckily there is more than me! It's hard not to when you hear your stories.
I don't know how I stumbled upon your blog, but it really is amazing to see.
Good luck on everything in your future. She sure is a sweet little girl!

Jenny said...

Ashlee, I dont know you, but my name is Jennifer Metcalf. and i was born three months premature, as a triplet. as i look at your little girl, i sit and cry thinking what my brother would look like? Brooklyn is a miracle!
love, Jenny Metcalf