Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Heart Hurt

I have a friend who descibed "heart hurt" in one of her blog posts. This is what I felt tonight. You always know when you're building up to a good cry. You're teary at little things. Your eyes always feel a little watery, your nose stings at simple things, you swallow away the tears as best you can.

But sometimes the flood gates open. Like they did tonight for me. I cried out my heart hurt to my mom - because she was there with me. Then I cried out my heart hurt to Roger on my way home. Then I cried during dinner. Just because.

Sometimes you just need to have a good cry and let the world know you're hurting, upset, sad, heartbroken...whatever you may be feeling.

It's amazing that this little girl can cause so much emotional pain for me. I don't say that in negative way, but sometimes I feel I can't take much more of this trial. Physical pain is awful. But emotional pain breaks you. It's a constant ache that flares at any given time.

No one ever can describe what it feels like to love a child until you become a parent. Doesn't matter how you are defined as a parent, you know exactly what I mean when I say this.

They say a Mother's hug can make the hurt go away. I'm grateful for my mom today, who hugged me as I cried - walking down the hall - away from the NICU - away from a situation I couldn't handle anymore. I'm grateful for her mom, my grandma, who slept in the waiting room for two hours today while I tried to console my daughter. Oh how I wish, I wish so badly, so so so much more than words can ever express, that I could have hugged my baby today.

Brooklyn is fine. Progressing ever so slowly, testing my patience and faith. But she was upset today - more than I've ever seen before. She cried off and on for 30 minutes. And I couldn't fix her. The nurse in me tried every trick I knew to calm a preemie stuck in an incubator. The mom in me desperately tried every trick we've learned along the way to console our daughter. She finally gave up, exhausted, and fell asleep. And held her breath so badly that she went gray. And I crumbled. She was sleeping and sort of lethargic from her tantrum, so I left. I walked away. I couldn't take it anymore. I'd watched her cry (shaky bottom lip and all) for long enough. My chest ached, my heart ached - and I went home. To my sweet husband who let me cry it out. My saving grace again.

I needed and wanted to hug my baby girl more than I have ever wanted to before. I knew she would have calmed down had I just been able to hold her. But she is confined to her incubator and ventilator. For the first time I hated the modern miracle of medicine.

Three hours later I got up the courage to call up to the hospital to check on her. Turns out all she needed was to poop. They had to change her diaper three times there was so much. So she had a tummy ache - haven't we all? But she couldn't tell me that. Couldn't even communicate through body language. She had to suffer through the hurt in that stuped isolette until she was able to go.

Tonight I feel more peaceful. I'm still teary, even as I write this. I'm grateful for my husband who lets me rant and rave when I feel the need. I'm grateful for a new day tomorrow - to see her again, maybe even hold her. It's been a week since I've held her...I think I'm ready. She may not need it, but I do.

Sweet baby Brooklyn, can you please try to get bigger faster? I'm not as strong as I'd like to be, my faith is being tested, my emotions can't take much more. We're ready to have you home.

Doesn't she look mischevious in this one? No wonder her nurses are always putting her in "timeout".

Four generations: Grandma Sharon, Mom, Me, Brooklyn

Working up to her tantrum today...


Binki still does wonders, even with the breathing tube in the way. Doesn't she look upset? One of her calmer moments during the tantrum.






Cute grandma, waiting for me to get a grip and leave so she could go home and take a real nap. Sorry Grandma.

13 comments:

Karen said...

This post breaks my heart. I can't even imagine what it would be like to watch your baby cry without being able to hold them. This will always be a memory in your heart, but know that one day it will be distant. You and Roger are so incredibly strong.

NatBug said...

Thanks for being so honest, this made me cry. I can't imagine what this type of pain feels like. I know the feeling of "heart hurt", but I have never experienced it in the way that you are right now. I am sorry that yesterday was one of those days....hang in there.

Ellingson's said...

Please know that I am always here for you! Give me a call & vent if you need to. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. You guys are constantly in my prayers!

Carrie said...

I know that feeling all too well. Maybe not due to the same situation, but all the same. If you need a different set of ears to vent to, let me know. I am just down the street...and I always bring ice cream - ;) I will probably cry with you though, because I don't let anyone get snotty alone.

Jess said...

Oh Ashlee! I am so, so sorry. You always put on such a brave face...I had no idea last night. You and Roger absolutely amaze me. Little Brooklyn, and both of you, are always in our prayers. You can always call me to chat/vent as well. I think "heart hurt" is the perfect description. We love you guys!

amanda said...

We love you and admire you for all you are doing. We are praying for your family.

BradyandShantel said...

I am so sorry Ashlee. Please forgive me ( I had thought this whole time that it was the other Gardner's in our ward that were moving out that had their baby premature until I checked out your blog- I rarely blog). Ashlee, remember it's okay to be sad and to cry (you don't always have to be the strong one). Keep doing what your doing and I am sure you will be able to hold your daughter in your arms soon!!!
Shantel Pettit

Greg and Sarah said...

She is the cutest little thing! Congrats on hitting the 3 pound mark! It was so good to see you on Sunday. Greg and I always remember your cute little family in our prayers. I'm going to have to come see the little squirt soon! She's a doll. You are amazing Ashlee! She is so lucky to have you as her mom!

Brooke said...

I'm so sorry that you're going through this, you are stronger that you know!

Tricia and Jon said...

Ok, that picture of her being mischievous made me giggle :)

I'm so sorry that you and Brooklyn and a rough day. I can't imagine not being able to comfort her. You are so strong and I know that Brooklyn can feel your love for her, even when you can't physically hold her. You are a great mom. I hope that today is a better day.

Love ya!

KaRLie said...

Ash,
This made me cry!! She is so sweet!! I'm so sorry that we didn't get to meet up this morning. I was totally bummed but I will make it up next week. You are such a good mommy!!

Nan said...

Ashlee sorry today was a tough one for you. She looks just beautiful. I love to listen if you want to talk.

Nanette Christensen

Unknown said...

Ashlee,
I hope you get to cuddle your little girl again soon..Grateful that you have such a wonderful support system. Hang in there!
(I left a little something for you at the nurses desk last night--I think the rule is 3lbs for her to use it---I'm sure that will be here before you know it) :-}