Monday, May 10, 2010

Small Armpits and A Cute Sixth Toe

This is what some of Brooklyn's visitors said about her Sunday night. Haha, love what boys have to say about her! For your info, she doesn't have a sixth toe - but she does have small armpits! :)

Saturday night Roger and I cheered on our Utah Jazz...too bad they lost at the last second! It was still a party! My ears were ringing all night - the crowd definitely lived up to the "loudest arena in the NBA" status. Holy cow.

Thanks Mom and Dad for the tickets, so fun to hang out with you guys that night. Too bad we couldn't see Kobe up close and personal. On second thought, maybe it was better our seats were higher so Roger couldn't attack him, huh? :)


Yes I look drunk. Promise I wasn't. But the ladies in front of us might have been.
Afterwards we headed up to the hospital so Roger could hold the baby for the first time. When we got there, she proceeded to fall sound asleep with Roger's hands on her head. She looked so peaceful that we couldn't bear to wake her up so he could hold her. Bummer.



Sweet dreams......

All tucked in for the night.....


And here's Brooklyn wishing all of the mom's out there a Happy Mother's Day!!


To my mom: Where would I be today without you? Words don't express how a daughter feels on a day like today. Thanks for helping me figure out what it means to be a mom myself and for being the example I want to follow. Love you!
To Susan: Thank you for raising Roger to be the type of man he is...I am eternally grateful. He is who he is because of you. How lucky am I to have gotten you for my mother-in-law. Thank you for being my second mom. Love you!



And lastly, today's pictures....our first try at "skin to skin".
Wow, what a feeling. How do I explain what a tiny thing she is? What a peanut. I'll admit, this was amazing and awful at the same time. I loved that they put her on my chest - she tucked her feet up under her bum - and fell asleep within minutes. I literally held her bum and both feet in the palm of my hand.
It was awful because I watched the monitor for the first 30 minutes stressing she would hold her breath. And, of course, she did. But we made it 45 minutes without any drops in oxygen and heartrate. It may take some convincing to try this again while she's still on the vent. I may be a nurse, but that logic goes right out the window when it's your baby that dropped her sats to 46% and her breathing tube is still pinned to your gown. I swear, I'm going to take years off my life from watching her do that!






But don't worry, this is how I left her. Another classic sleep position. :)



And for those that have ever wondered how she is weighed each night, this video is for you. Sorry its a full minute, but you'll see Emma (her nurse) and I scramble to get her hand off her breathing tube - we don't want that being pulled out by this munchkin's little hands!

10 comments:

brookeandruss said...

Those picture of you holding her on your chest are priceless!!! I am so glad you get to hold your little one. Ha ha, small arm pits and 6th toe. Nat told me about that and I was like "what, she really has a 6th toe." he he! So fun you went to the Jazz game, too bad they lost, stupid Jazz! Oh well. It was fun to see you and Roger yeterday for a second. You look amazing! :)

Nat and Jordy said...

Oh, Ash!!! I am still in awww of how beautiful, precious and tiny Brooklyn is! Thank you so much for letting us come up to meet her, even though Jordy likes her 6th toe. Silly boy! You and Roger are the best parents and Brooklyn is so blessed to have you has her mommy. Those pictures are just so sweet and I'm thrilled to hear you were able to hold her! Happy Mommy's Day yesterday and it was sooo good to see you!!! Love you girl!

Ellingson's said...

How exciting that you get to hold her... remember that she feels your stress, so if you stress out while your holding her she probably will too. She is adorable! Happy Mother's Day!

Nicole said...

So sweet. So glad you have gotten to hold her! Keep breathing little brooklyn!!

I want to come visit still...but I have bronchitis/pneumonia! Crazy. Anyway, when I'm back to 100% I want to see her!

Nan said...

I love the picture of you holding her up to your chest, so sweet! Love that little Brooklyn!

Nanette

NatBug said...

How great that you got to hold her chest to chest. That feeling is remarkable! I am happy for you. I loved watching your video, not only is she so cute, but your commentary is adorable, such a good mommy!

Pew Family said...

Ashlee, I have been looking for you and Megan's blog forever and I finally found it! I'm so sorry to hear about the struggles going on in your life right now. Your such a sweet mom holding your precious little one, I love that picture! I'll now be checking your blog regularily to see how things are going. You and your family are in my prayers! -Jade (Smith) Pew

Matt and Kirsten said...

Ashlee,
I just want you to know that I still think about you and pray for you and your little precious family. As a mother my heart aches for you. Happy late mother's day.
Kirsten Chidester

Brooke said...

What a little angel!

Jane and Stuart said...

The picture with her on your chest is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I am so glad your have gotten to hold her.